“The degree was conferred upon Dr. James Harrington for his immense contributions, remarkable achievements and distinguished accomplishments
On April 16, 2013 Dr. H James Harrington was presented with an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Philosophy from the Sudan Academy of Sciences.
The Degree of Doctor of Philosophy was conferred upon Dr. James Harrington for his immense contributions, remarkable achievements and distinguished accomplishments in the field of Quality Management, Business Excellence, and Innovation, covering wider range of Geographical locations and countries.
(Pictured right to left is Dr. Osama Rayis, Chairman of the Sudan Academy, Dr. H James Harrington, CEO of Harrington Institute, and Dr. Ayed T. AlAmri, President, Saudi Quality Council, & Chairman, Middle East Quality Association (MEQA).
- When Dr. Harrington took over as the Chairman of the International Chapter of the American Society for Quality Control (ASQC), it was just a small group of people located around the world. Harrington had a newsletter created specially designed for the international quality market and he established representatives in countries around the world to promote ASQC’s quality programs. ASQC’s international strategy at that point in time was to encourage the formation of national quality organizations in each country. When Harrington completed his tenure as Chairman of the International Chapter of ASQC, it had grown to the point that it was the largest chapter in ASQ. In support of the international chapter of ASQ, Harrington organized and led the ASQC’s World Crusade for Quality. This World Crusade for Quality organized and put on free quality conferences for professional organizations in countries like Germany, Italy, India, Russia, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand, Australia, China, Japan, the Philippines, Mexico, Venezuela, Portugal, Columbia, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, and Peru. Harrington’s efforts had a major impact upon establishing ASQ as the world’s leading quality professionals association.
- The Chinese Quality Association appointed him as their honorary quality advisor in the early 1980s.
- In the mid-1980s he went to China and negotiated a documented cooperation agreement between ASQC and the Chinese Quality Association.
- As a result of his work in Singapore, he was elected into Singapore’s Productivity Hall of Fame.
- He helped Taiwan establish their export quality control system.
- In cooperation with the African Capacity Building Foundation, he worked with them to help increase capacity in many countries throughout Africa.
- He originated and continues to fund the Walter L. Hurd Foundation, headquartered in the Philippines, which is dedicated to promote quality principles throughout the developing countries.
- With Dr. Ishikawa and Dr. Miflora Gatchalian, he helped to establish the Asia-Pacific Quality Organization (APQO). Harrington serves as APQO’s honorary lifetime president.
- The Harrington/Ishikawa Medal
- The Harrington/Neron Medal
- Harrington Best TQM Thesis Award
- Harrington Excellence Medal
Dr. Harrington presently is CEO of Harrington Institute, Inc. He is past chairman and president of the American Society for Quality and the International Academy for Quality. On April 1, 2013 Taylor and Francis released his latest book entitled Performance Acceleration Management was released.